Both sides have shown promise at the ICC World T20 qualifiers 2013, and have an opportunity to impress on the big stage
The United Arab Emirates and Netherlands made it to the ICC World Twenty20 2014 in Bangladesh by finishing fourth and fifth respectively in the ICC World Twenty20 Qualifiers 2013 held in UAE. While both sides would want to make an impression right at the outset, here's a look at the key players, numbers and much else:
· Nine of the last 11 T20Is involving Netherlands have been won by the team batting second.
· Khurram Khan, the UAE captain, has scored a combined tally of 84 runs from 59 balls against Netherlands in his last two outings. Interestingly, he's been dismissed only once.
· Wesley Barresi, the Netherlands wicketkeeper, finished the 2013 ICC World Twenty20 qualifiers with 10 dismissals in as many matches, the second highest in the tournament.
· Netherlands recorded two of the four largest victories in terms of balls remaining at the 2013 ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier.
· Of those players to deliver at least four overs at the 2013 ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier, Vivian Kingma had the joint-lowest bowling strike rate of 8.00.
· Pieter Seelaar will become the third player to play 20 T20Is for Netherlands.
· Seelaar needs four wickets to become the second player after Mudassar Bukhari to take 25 T20I wickets.
· Netherlands is attempting to win its 10thT20I under the captaincy of Peter Borren.
Netherlands v United Arab Emirates – Michael Swart vs. Khurram Khan
Michael Swart’s average of 37 puts him in the elite band of T20I batsman. Among those with a minimum of 10 innings under their belt, only seven have a better average.
Swart's strike rate of 128 also commendable. Swart has reached 20 in eight of his 11 T20I knocks. He is also a handy slow-bowling option, with 10 wickets in 11 matches.
UAE’s key all-rounder. Captain Khurram Khan took nine wickets in 10 qualifying matches last year, but it is his middle order runs that has been vital for his team. He hit 255 runs in 10 knocks in the qualifying tournament, at an average of 36.4 and strike rate of 128.8.