ICC Live

CT 2017 - Buy Tickets - 300x250


What are your thoughts on this article?

New Zealand ahead despite Anderson’s 300th-wicket feat

Taylor motors to 66 off 72 balls as England end day two with New Zealand trailing by 79 runs with six wickets in hand

New Zealand ahead despite Anderson’s 300th-wicket feat - Cricket News
Ross Taylor scored 66 runs off 72 balls on Day 2.
James Anderson took his 300th Test wicket as England fought back in the first Test at Lord's on Friday (May 17) before New Zealand's Ross Taylor led a courageous counter-attack with a brisk 66.  

The two players lit up Lord's, where artificial floodlight had to come on to beat back the overcast conditions on the second day, which ended with New Zealand 153 for 4 in reply to England's first innings 232, a deficit of 79 runs. Anderson took the first three wickets to fall, reducing the visitors to 7 for 2 before dismissing the aggressive Taylor.  

The 30-year-old Anderson, playing in his 81st Test, was quick to pick up his 299th Test wicket after taking the new ball. One ball after Hamish Rutherford had cover-driven him for four, Anderson squared him up with an outswinger and England captain Alastair Cook, diving to his right, held an excellent low catch at first slip.  

Anderson struck again when Peter Fulton, the tourists’ other opener, nicked a good length ball low to Graeme Swann at second slip as the Lancashire bowler became only the fourth Englishman after Fred Trueman, Bob Willis and Ian Botham to take 300 Test wickets.   New Zealand were now in dire straits, with Anderson's purple patch yielding two wickets for no runs in 17 balls.

Taylor, however, responded with the innings of the match so far, stroking 13 boundaries. He was especially severe on Stuart Broad, cutting and cover-driving Broad for two fours in as many balls.  

However, a partnership of 93 with Kane Williamson (44 not out) ended when Taylor was lbw to Anderson to leave New Zealand 100 for three. Anderson should have had a fourth wicket when Williamson, on 23, edged a full-length ball but wicketkeeper Matt Prior, diving to his right, dropped a low one-handed chance.  

New Zealand did lose their fourth wicket when Steven Finn had Dean Brownlie lbw for 23, following a review of Australian umpire Steve Davis’s original not out decision.  

Brendon McCullum, the New Zealand captain, was one not out when the umpires finally decided the light was no longer playable and drew stumps.  

Tim Southee, who removed Joe Root and Prior with successive deliveries, led New Zealand's attack with 4 for 58 after England, who continued to find runs hard to come by on the second day, resumed on 160 for 4. Southee made the breakthrough after an hour on Friday with a bad ball that Root, on 40, obligingly glanced down the legside to wicketkeeper BJ Watling.  

Prior had frustrated New Zealand with an unbeaten hundred that ensured a draw and a 0-0 result in a three-match series when the teams last met in Auckland in March. But he was lbw first ball on Friday to Southee.

Similar Articles