ICC Live

CT 2017 - Buy Tickets - 300x250


What are your thoughts on this article?

No play on fourth day too in Bangalore

Wet outfield, inopportune spell of rain combine to make it a hat-trick of washouts

No play on fourth day too in Bangalore - Cricket News
Two days of India’s second Test against South Africa had been lost to rain, but perhaps neither of that was as frustrating for all involved as Tuesday (November 17), the designated fourth day of the match which turned into the third straight day without a ball being bowled at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium.
The cruelty of the day lay in the hope it held out, only for it to be snatched away at the most inopportune moment. Due to the washout on the second day, the scheduled start-time on all subsequent days was put down as 9.15 am – 15 minutes early – but that was merely because it had to be set. For all practical purposes, with rain lashing the city, it was merely numbers on a piece of paper.
Still, when Tuesday dawned with no rain, the first time in three days that had happened, there was the possibility of some play at least taking place. The umpires scheduled an inspection for 10 am, and the covers had been removed from the ground. It wasn’t as if the sun had burst through, but at least the rain was keeping away in spite of a permanent cloud cover.
There were two more inspections after the first one – at 11.30 am and at 1 pm – and the last one was the cause of great joy for everyone from players, scorers, umpires, commentators, fans, spectators and reporters, who had done little other than twiddle thumbs for two days. The umpires ruled that play would begin at 2 pm and continue till 5.15 pm, with the provision of extending it by half an hour if the weather and light permitted. There was even time to slot in a tea-break at 3.30 pm.
All of that became moot within a minute of the announcement, when the rain chose to make a grand entrance. The covers were back even as the possibility of any play receded, and finally vanished.
The Bangalore crowd had turned up in numbers on Saturday, which had seen a full day’s cricket, and a few hardy souls even made the trek to the stadium on Sunday and Monday amid the rains. On Tuesday, with the morning free of wet weather, there was more than a sprinkling of fans in the stands, and had play actually resumed, it would have only increased. Among them was a vociferous bunch of school students, just like there had been on Saturday, and their spirits were perhaps the most undampened by the weather.
As it was, the only thing they got to see was a few Indian batsmen – Ajinkya Rahane and M Vijay among them – knock the ball in the practice nets that were erected in the far corners of the ground. That would be the only bat-on-ball action they would get to see, though the Indian team playing with a football in the corner immediately after the drizzle post 1 pm began also drew some cheers.

Similar Articles