Strauss sets sights on Ashes

After an impressive display against West Indies in the Tests and one day internationals, England skipper Andrew Strauss has now set his sights on the upcoming Ashes in July where he will look to win back the coveted urn from defending champions Australia.
In the recently concluded two-Test and three-one day international series against West Indies, England convincingly defeated the tourists 2-0 in the Tests and 2-0 in the ODIs, after the first ODI was abandoned due to rain.
England skipper Andrew Strauss credits this performance to his players saying, “I like the way we were clinical right through the Tests and the one-dayers. New players came in and did well but generally there was a level of consistency there which is very important.”
Strauss is the first to admit that England still has loads to improve, but according to the skipper these wins will help in building the momentum for the upcoming five-Test Ashes series which begins in July.
"We are far from the finished article at this stage but what I am really excited about is that the guys are very keen to improve. The work ethic has been tremendous.”
“Everything that has happened over the last month can only help us come the first day of the Ashes but it would be wrong to assume just because we won a few games here we will stroll through it - we know it will be a hard competition for us."
Prior to the Ashes, England will play the ICC World Twenty20 2009, which starts on June 6 in its own backyard. All-rounder Paul Collingwood will take over the captaincy from Strauss for the shortest format of the game.
England recently suffered a big setback after its star all-rounder Andrew Flintoff was ruled out of the ICC World Twenty20 after not recovering from an injury he sustained while playing at the Indian Premier League for his team, Chennai Super Kings.
Strauss realizes the importance of a strong contender like Flintoff in the squad. Flintoff played an instrumental role in England winning the Ashes in 2005 but has since been left out of the squad on numerous occasions in the recent past owing to injuries.
“It has been very frustrating for us, and more importantly for him (Flintoff), that he has picked up these injuries over the last couple of years or so," said Strauss.
Strauss has been excused from Twenty20 duty for Middlesex in the next few weeks. He may only play two county championship matches before the first Ashes Test begins at Cardiff on July 8.
"We've already done a fair amount of planning and we need to take that to the final stage so that when we meet up prior to the Ashes starting that all the 'T's are crossed and 'I's dotted so that we are 100% comfortable at where we need to be come that first Test match," said Strauss.