ICC Live

CT 2017 - Buy Tickets - 300x250


What are your thoughts on this article?

Match abandoned after heavy rain

England reaches 59 for 3 in 15.1 overs before play called off in third ODI

Match abandoned after heavy rain - Cricket News
Heavy rains forced the third ODI to be abandoned with England at 59 for 3.
The third One-Day International between England and Australia ended with no-result after heavy rains forced the match to be abandoned on Wednesday (September 11) at Birmingham. 

England had laboured to 59 for 3 in 15.1 overs after being put in to bat by Michael Clarke, the Australia captain, when the skies opened up. No further play was possible after that. 

Australia continues to lead the series 1-0, having won the second ODI in Manchester by 88 runs after the first one in Leeds was washed out without a ball being bowled. 

Mitchell Johnson again impressed with the new ball in the passage of play that was possible, taking one wicket for 20 runs in five overs and twice seeing close lbw decisions against Jonathan Trott overturned in the batsman's favour. 

Trott was unbeaten on 28 and Eoin Morgan, the England captain, was five not out when the umpires took the players off the field at 3:34pm local time.
Clarke's decision to bowl first was keeping in line with the weather forecast, with rain already having delayed the start. With more rain forecast, and a strong possibility of the match being reduced from a 50-overs-a-side contest, it would have been difficult for the team batting first to know what target to set. 

While England made no changes to the side despite its loss in Manchester, the overcast conditions prompted Australia to bring in an additional seamer in Josh Hazlewood, leaving out Fawad Ahmed, the leg-spinner.

England lost an early wicket when Michael Carberry was run out in the first over. Kevin Pietersen, who opened the innings with Carberry, had hit a boundary off Clint McKay, but two balls later, the batsmen rushed through for a tight single, only for McKay to gather the ball and hit the stumps. 

Pietersen too didn't last long, departing for six when he failed to get over the top of a Johnson bouncer and pulled him straight to George Bailey at square leg, who completed a straightforward catch. 

Trott was on 13 when he was given out lbw to Johnson after aiming across the line. He was reprieved after reviewing the verdict as the Decision Review System indicated the ball had pitched just outside leg stump. Johnson then challenged umpire Gough's decision when Trott, batting on 20, was given not out in response to the Australian's lbw appeal only for an 'umpire's call' ruling to rescue the batsman.

Trott was later hit on the helmet when he missed an attempted pull off a Johnson bouncer under the glare of the floodlights. 

Joe Root had only 12 when he chipped a simple return catch to Adam Voges to leave England 52 for 3. 

Rain, however, reared its head at that precise moment. The chance of an abridged match also looked slim thereafter, and with a minimum of 20-overs-per-side required to get a complete result under the Duckworth/Lewis method, the umpires decided to call play off at 7.05pm local time. 

Both teams will resume battle in the fourth ODI to be played in Cardiff on Saturday.

Similar Articles