The man who directed racial abuse at Jofra Archer during England's Test at Mount Maunganui last year has been banned from all international and domestic fixtures in New Zealand for two years.
New Zealand Cricket said the man, a 28-year-old from Auckland, had been issued with a verbal warning and told that if he breached the conditions of his ban to be seen at a ground, he would be removed from the venue and could become subject to further police action.
The unsavory incident occurred on the final day of the first Test between England and New Zealand in November, as Archer was walking back after batting. The England pacer complained to the stadium security and an inquiry began; the Tauranga police were brought in, with CCTV footage helping identify the man involved.
According to NZC, the man admitted responsibility for the abuse.
"NZC will contact Mr Archer tomorrow to apologise for the unacceptable experience."— ICC (@ICC) November 25, 2019
The board, who had been quick to apologise to Archer at the time, reiterated their strong stance against racial abuse. "We'd again like to extend our apologies to Jofra and the England team management for such an unsavoury incident and reiterate once more that this type of behaviour is completely unacceptable,” said Anthony Crummy, NZC spokesperson, in a statement.
He added that they would continue to use signs and announcements at grounds to emphasise their message. Spectators were encouraged to use NZC’s text alert system to notify ground security of any anti-social behaviour, including racist taunts and abuse.
Personalise your homepage with an ICC account
News, fixtures and updates tailored to your favourite team. Never miss a moment!