- Fiji, PNG, Samoa and Vanuatu battling for two 2019 regional final spots
- Fiji Sports Commission has provided a 120,000 Fiji Dollar grant for the tournament
- ICC Development Manager - EAP, Jane Livesey: “Partnerships are very important for cricket development in non-traditional markets. Alongside Cricket Fiji we have worked hard to build a strong relationship with the Fiji Sports Commission.”
The road to the men’s ICC World T20 2020 continues in Fiji this week with two teams qualifying for next year’s regional final, as the first of two 2018 East-Asia Pacific regional qualifiers gets underway.
Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa and Vanuatu are all competing in the four-day ICC World T20 EAP A Qualifier which gets underway on 25 August. The tournament will be a double round-robin league, where all teams plays each other twice, with the top two teams at the end of the tournament proceeding to the ICC World T20 EAP Final to be played in 2019. They will be joined by one team from the second qualifier in the EAP region, taking place between 1 and 7 December in the Philippines.
The new qualification pathway for the ICC World T20 2020 not only reduces the number of steps towards a global event to four, but also provides more regular competitive opportunities for more Members. The enhanced qualification pathway aims to foster the continued improvement of Associate Member cricket and better prepare those teams that ultimately qualify for the global showpiece event in Australia.
In addition to the investment provided by the ICC to qualifying events, the Fiji Sports Commission has supported the event by providing a 120,000 Fiji Dollar grant for the tournament. The ICC East-Asia Pacific office and Cricket Fiji have a long-standing and strong relationship which has been developed over many years which is further demonstrated through this support. The Fiji Sports Commission contribution creates a lasting legacy for this tournament with funding directed towards new nets on top of a contribution to tournament costs.
ICC Development Manager - EAP, Jane Livesey said: ‘We are delighted to be showcasing cricket in the Pacific. There have been great strides made by the Members in the region, which have provided greater access for communities to experience cricket. In addition, the new qualification pathway has provided more competition opportunities for Associate Members, with Fiji, PNG, Samoa and Vanuatu all looking forward to a highly competitive pathway tournament.
“Partnerships are very important for cricket development in non-traditional markets. Alongside Cricket Fiji we have worked hard to build a strong relationship with the Fiji Sports Commission. Their generous grant for the tournament will create an even stronger legacy and we look forward to working together in the future.”
For ICC World T20 EAP A Qualifier fixtures please and more information click here.
ICC World T20 Americas B Qualifier
26 Feb – 3 Mar
Argentina, Bermuda (Q), Cayman Islands (Q)
ICC World T20 Africa A Qualifier
14 – 21 Apr
Gambia, Ghana (Q), Nigeria (Q), Sierra Leone
ICC World T20 Asia A Qualifier
20 – 27 Apr
Bahrain, Kuwait (Q), Maldives,Qatar (Q), Saudi Arabia,United Arab Emirates (Q)
ICC World T20 Africa B Qualifier
7 – 14 Jul
Kenya (Q), Tanzania, Rwanda,Uganda (Q)
ICC World T20 EAP A Qualifier
25 – 29 Aug
Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Vanuatu
ICC World T20 Europe A Qualifier
29 Aug – 3 Sep
Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Portugal
ICC World T20 Europe B Qualifier
29 Aug – 3 Sep
Belgium, Finland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Spain
ICC World T20 Europe C Qualifier
29 Aug – 3 Sep
Czech Republic, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Israel, Norway, Sweden
ICC World T20 Americas A Qualifier
16 – 23 Sep
Belize, Canada, Panama, USA
ICC World T20 Asia B Qualifier
3 – 12 Oct
Bhutan, China, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Singapore, Thailand
ICC World T20 Africa C Qualifier
28 Oct – 3 Nov
Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, St Helena, Swaziland, Zambia
ICC World T20 EAP B Qualifier
1 – 7 Dec
Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, South Korea
ABOUT THE MEN’S ICC WORLD T20 2020 QUALIFICATION PATHWAY
- To qualify for the men’s ICC World T20 2020 there is a four-step qualification pathway from 2018-2020
- 78 teams will take part in the qualification pathway 2018-2020
- 62 teams will compete in the regional qualifiers 2018
- 25 qualifying teams from the regional qualifiers 2018 will compete in the regional finals 2019
- Six teams from the ICC World T20 2016 which are not in the Top 10 MRF Tyres ICC T20I Team Rankings as at 31/12/2008 will automatically qualify for the ICC World T20 Qualifier, alongside the eight qualifiers from the regional finals.
- The top 10 teams from the MRF Tyres ICC T20I Team Rankings as at 31/12/2018 qualify for the men’s ICC World T20 2020, alongside the six qualifiers from the ICC World T20 Qualifier.
- The men’s ICC World T20 2020 will take place in Australia between 18 October – 15 November 2020