Official ICC App

Alex Hales

Alex Hales set to return to action for Nottinghamshire

England news

Alex Hales is set to return to action for Nottinghamshire when they take on Durham in the One-Day Cup on Friday, 3 May, with the Notts saying it’s “in the best interest of all concerned” that he is playing as soon as possible.

Hales was withdrawn from England’s squads for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019, the one-off ODI against Ireland and the limited-overs series against Pakistan after being banned for 21 days. However, Nottinghamshire released a statement on Wednesday, saying that after conversations with Hales, he had been cleared to return to action as early as on Friday. He will be available for selection for the remainder of the white-ball season.

"The meeting was open, honest and constructive and a way forward was agreed between both parties,” the statement read. “Alex has expressed a great deal of regret and contrition for his actions and he has ultimately paid a heavy price.

"He accepts that the position he finds himself in is of his own making. He knows he has a long road back to redeem himself in the eyes of many people, but that now has to be his aim.

"After much deliberation, we believe it's in the best interests of all concerned for him to get back to playing cricket for Nottinghamshire as quickly as possible.”

Peter Moores, the Notts head coach, said he expected Hales to react to the developments of the last few days positively. "I'd like him to be involved," Moores said. "Anyone who misses out on a World Cup is going to be very disappointed.

"But it's how he reacts to it – I expect Alex to react in the right way.”

More News

Personalise your homepage with an ICC account

News, fixtures and updates tailored to your favourite team. Never miss a moment!